Wednesday, 16 December 2015

15th Dec day 61 re-potting and prize giving

After breakfast I re-potted 12 plants from my thriving planters by the back door and put them in the large tubs by the front door. Whether or not they survive remains to be seen but the back ones look better because I can now see all the flowers instead of them being cramped. Today is the last day of term for the children at Meeaanee School, they had to do a Sat in November to celebrate the schools 150th anniversary, so they finish before other schools in Hawkes Bay. I was going in for midday to see their prize giving but wanted to do a few things before then.

Top of my list was to try and catch up with Cheryl and gang as its 2 weeks since we have been able to chat, with all the busyness here and their end. After a bit of a struggle getting a connection we did manage to speak, whilst she and Seb were reading Horrid Henry in his bed. 

Honestly he's hilarious, I had sent Cheryl a message earlier asking if she could get both boys to check their messages because I have sent them each 2-3 with no response, so he appeared for a second to show me he's now lost 3 teeth since I left and then he proceeded to read my messages and reply - whilst I am on FaceTime!!
It was great to hear what's been happening with Christmas meals for them all, visitors, parties last week and this, and especially that Marcus is loving his new school, thank you Lord. I was delighted to hear Seb now weighs 3st 10lbs as he's been 3st 7lbs for what seem like forever. I charged him to try to get to 4st in the 3 months I am on tour. He's going to have to do some serious Christmas gorging if he's to make it to my target, in the 4 weeks until I arrive back in Alrewas. 

It was my turn to top up Simon's car and I called to buy the dvd of The Fantastic Mr Fox from Countdown before heading to the school. I had seen and clocked it when I was frantically searching the dvds yesterday, amongst the thousands. Simon is going to be doing some Roahl Dahl books next year so this one is perfect as the movie with the voices of George Clooney and Meryl Streep bring it alive. But how clever are our brains that I could picture exactly where it was in amongst the masses and go to buy it without any searching?

When I arrived at school there were quite a few family and friends sitting on the benches in the hot sunshine, the others were either on a few chairs or the benches that go around 2 of the bigger trees, in the shade. The sailed areas were reserved for the children and teachers. I was very glad it was a glorious day because the school doesnt have a hall, so we would have been outside whatever the weather.
No exaggerating, I know I am prone to that, it was the best prize giving I have ever attended. The 9 pupils now going up to High School each spoke, telling us of their memories and high spots in this school. I was struck by how relaxed and confident each of these 12 or 13 yr olds were, their speeches even included humour. That school has definitely prepared them well for this new era in their lives.
Each teacher shook hands with the 3 children from their class who had won prizes. They were for best high academic performance, most improved, and effort. I was particularly delighted to see the boy who was upset, when he got his Christmas card wrong when I was doing craft class, got the most improved from Simon's class. Here is Simon giving a gift to one of the girls.
The Headmistress Gill spoke really well, as did the Chair of Governors but it was the children with their singing and dancing that brought it alive. I hope this clip of them singing about being there for each other loads.
After prize giving and before heading to get Nicholas I went into Taradale to see if I could hire a Star Wars costume for him for his dress up day on Thurs. Yesterday I had nearly worn out my sandals, slight exaggeration, tramping around every possible shop in Hastings where I might be able to buy or make him something suitable for this themed last day of term, but to no avail. Thankfully the hire shop had a child's Darth Vadar.

By then I was hot and thirsty so I popped into McDonalds for a cold Coke and chicken wrap. I had just sat down when a young guy in his late twenties passed me in his motorised wheelchair going to the toilets. Thankfully I immediately realised because of his cerebral palsy, and the heavy fire door behind me, he would need help. I opened the door and then was ready to assist him when he had finished. 

I admire people with this desperately frustrating condition enormously as I cannot begin to imagine how incredibly challenging it must be to have a bright, clear brain but your head, speech and limbs don't respond properly to your thoughts. Probably because it's frequently caused by brain damage at birth, and that is what happened to Simon, I am very aware of people with this disability.

When he came out of the toilet he wanted me to help him with something and he had to tell me about 8 times before I got that it was wine gums out of his backpack. He wanted 5 green ones and I had to put them in his mouth as the poor guys hands didn't allow him fine motor skills. He was such a nice guy and he was fine with me wiping his mouth afterwards, as he cant even clear his own dribble. I can't begin to imagine that level of indignity. 

One of the McDonalds staff was brilliant with him bringing over his drink and chatting to him. A bit later he was shouting out what time is it and all of the people sitting around him ignored him, probably from embarrassment. In the event I had to walk the length of the restaurant to tell him the time. Just as I was finishing typing yesterday's blog he came and asked me to go into the toilet with him. He needed his hands and face washing. The taps in the disabled toilet were turn instead of push, so he couldn't operate them, how frustrating for him. He then wanted me to wash his face and reapply his suncream on his face and neck. It was a complete joy to help him and reminded me of caring for John (a brain damaged 52 yr old) years ago. 

It got me thinking about why a lot of people are unsure of how to deal with various disabilities and I believe it's because when they are little they are educated separately from mainstream schools. If from nursery upwards able-bodied and disabled kids grew up together there would never be any issues in adulthood. 

Simon received quite a few gifts from his class so here he is with them, it's fascinating to me how facially he has become like his Dad as he's got older. His build is definitely my Dad's but no doubt about it he's Kens son. 

1 comment:

  1. THOSE MOST PROBABLE TO FIND GOD'S TRUTH by steve finnell


    Those most probable of finding God's truth are those who are honestly seeking God.

    Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.(NKJV)

    Why would anyone who is seeking God and His truth not start by praying that God would show them His truth and His truth alone. Only God has the complete truth.

    God has only one book of His truth, that is the sixty-six books of the Holy Bible. All Scripture is given by inspiration of God.(2 Timothy 3:16-17)

    Bible commentaries are not Scripture.

    Church creed books are Scripture.

    Book written by popular preachers are not Scripture.

    Church statements of faith are not Scripture.

    The writings of theologians are not Scripture.

    So-called books of new revelation are not Scripture.

    When the opinions of men conflict with God's Scripture, men end up uncertain of their salvation, lost, and alone.



    YOU ARE INVITE$D TO FOLLOW MY BLOG. http://steve-finnell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete