Thursday, 31 December 2015

New Years Eve day 77 so chilled almost vertical!

This is my laziest day since I left the UK. The weather was a lot cooler, overcast and it had rained hard overnight making everything damp. Simon was out for quite a bit of the day, which meant I was home alone to just please myself. I did manage to put the first coat of paint on the back of the bathroom door. Now that Nicholas's height and hand prints have been preserved for posterity I could get on sanding, scrubbing and painting. Simon helped me for a while before he needed to go out, we used meths to take off some of the marker pen. He was shocked to learn that people actually drink the stuff if they are desperate - "it's marked poisonous Mum" he exclaimed, but that is the sad reality.
I did manage to have a long FaceTime catch up with the Mitis - but I missed Noah as he was already in bed. It was great hearing about their Christmas in Orpington with her family. Reuben is just the most smiley, happy baby and by ringing around 9pm I get to see him enjoying his bath. Here he is wrapped in his gorgeous lion towel which matches the frieze in his nursery.
I read, watched an episode of Phil Spencer Secret Agent, Homes Under the Hammer and finally Long Lost Family which made me cry. It must be so difficult for Mums to give up their babies and also for children who are adopted. I did a few jobs but nothing of much substance.

When Simon get back we had a hot snack around 5.15pm before I got ready to go out to some of Wendy's friends for what I thought was going to be a board games night with drinks and dessert. I left loaded up with some contributions to the games evening. The plan was when it finished about 9.30 I would drive into Napier to see the open air concert on the seafront, followed by fireworks at midnight.
In the event there were 2 couples when we arrived. The hostess Jill had done tasty nibbles for with drinks and then later a full hot dinner of lamb, stuffed courgettes that are called zucchinis here, new potatoes, freshly picked green beans and a variety of roast veg. It was a pity I was so full having eaten less than 2 hours before, but the small portion I had was delicious. Afterwards we ate the Tiramasu Wendy had made, followed by coffee. 

They were really welcoming and we chatted all evening which meant I never did get to see the concert and fireworks, nor play any games but heyho that doesn't matter. Jim plays the bagpipes and towards midnight he regaled us with tunes from the pipe. Jill put on some Scottish songs which gave the evening a flavour of Hogmanay. It did feel very strange spending New Years Eve at the other side of the world with people I have only just met, but this trip is all about me getting out of my comfort zone.
I got home soon after midnight and Simon came in a few minutes later when I was just on FaceTime with Cheryl and Seb, wishing them happy new year. Seb was buzzing, showing me all his Christmas gifts and bombing around on his Swegway (hover board). When I said to him I would be home 2 weeks today he immediately shouted yay and punched the air. That's very cute.

So here I am in 2016, thank You Lord for Your incredible blessings in 2015 I am so grateful and looking forward to whatever You have in store for this new year. 

Also I want to wish all of you who have persevered with my ramblings on this blog a very Happy, Blessed New Year. Thanks for all your love, support and encouragements, love Helen x

3 comments:

  1. I've just stopped in to catch up on your last week or so with your family. It looks and sounds like you're having an amazing time and such quality time with precious people. I'm so so pleased for you. I hope you have a brilliant last few days in NZ before continuing on xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy new year! I'm very impressed you managed to keep up with your blog this entire time; anyone who blogs will tell you how easily you can let it go. Those of us enjoying your adventures are very glad you have :) Love those hands on the door...it's got me thinking!!! ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have just caught up with last couple of blogs. I was checking in a couple of times a day and thinking, "why hasn't Helen posted anything since Day 75" then I realised that I hadn't refreshed the page ( you are on my favourites so it automatically opens) each time I opened it.
    New Year's Eve sounded good. Ours was very quiet, just we 2 after 9 pm!
    Have read about Simon's fall, The things people do to keep Mum a bit longer!
    Enjoy your last precious days with your boys, sending lots of love xxxx

    ReplyDelete