Wednesday, 16 December 2015

16th Dec day 62 cuppa at my favourite place and Nicholas prize giving

It's Simon's last day in school today so he went off happy and relaxed as it was a teacher's only day. I immediately got on with cleaning all the floors and skirting boards. We are going away on Sat and not back until Tues night so I don't want to be doing anything other than quick lick cleaning before Christmas. I had to get a wriggle on as Wendy, Carol's Mum was picking me up at 10am for us to go out shopping and for a cuppa. 

I was ready just as she arrived and we did some Christmas shopping together with her helping me find a couple of things. It's more challenging buying in a place you don't know, not for the every day stuff that's easy, but for anything a bit out of the ordinary it's hard to know where to shop. 

We went to this place, it's a beautiful garden centre with a large Christmas shop and superb cafe called Serendipity.
 We had the same out-of-this world custard slices and coffee we had enjoyed to celebrate Carol's birthday some weeks ago. Wendy is a really warm person and we chatted away extremely easily for quite a long time, getting to know each other and more about our respective children.

After she had dropped me home I wrote my blog, emailed some friends and read my book until Simon got back. We had a cuppa and then went into town for me to get some things for Christmas for him. We were very successful and I also was able to buy an attractive children's Bible suitable for 8-12 year olds, which is well illustrated. I had bought Marcus and Seb Bibles relevant for their ages at Easter but I decided I would wait until I was here to get one for Nicholas.

We weren't back long before we had to leave again, it was Nicholas's prize giving service at 6pm. As the Chair of the School Board Simon had to give a speech. It was really special to be there and experience a different kind of event, it was held in St Matthews Church. 

The children sang a couple of songs and the little ones did a mock wedding with the whole class dressed up in 'stylish', colourful outfits all made from recycled items, it was excellent. Then it was time for prize giving, when we got to Nicholas's class he won the highest achiever award - how perfect for me to be there to see him receive his certificate. Sorry these photos aren't great as I had to zoom in a long way.
When all the class awards had been distributed there were some other random ones and would you believe it Philippa won the volunteer award! One of the last items in the programme was Simon's speech, he did really well and I was proud of him.
At the end I wanted a photo of Philippa and Nicholas with their awards in front of the tree. Tim, the Headmaster is a fun guy and he gate-crashed the shot, but I was quite glad as it will be good in the future to remember him and his influence in my grandson's life.
Carol and both her boys have had a horrible bug this week, she has even taken time off which is unheard of for her. On the way home Simon had to got to the late night chemist to pick up some essential items she needed, it was lashing down and he got soaked. 

Both of us were feeling a bit queasy this evening so we decided against a cooked meal in favour of a bland piece of toast watching you've guessed - the Newsroom. 







No comments:

Post a Comment