Tuesday, 29 December 2015

29th Dec day 75 Star Wars and Art Deco

Philippa contacted us late last night to see if we could have Nicholas today as she was in work - what a treat. He was keen to start building the Star Wars Imperial Assault Carrier Cheryl and gang had sent him for Christmas. I am absolutely rubbish at reading any kind of instructions so Lego is a challenge for me but I usually manage to help Seb a little bit by finding pieces. But Simon and Nicholas are a well-oiled machine where Lego is concerned, so they cracked on with it whilst I did some ironing.
Carol, Simon and Nicholas all wanted to see the Star Wars movie and as that's of no interest to me I decided to do the Art Deco walking tour. Simon kindly paid for and printed off the 44 page guide for the tour. When they left to go to the film, with Anthonio accompanying them, I went the opposite direction into Napier. 

It was a stunning morning by then after a dull start, so I made my way along the promenade and took some pictures before heading into the town.

The waves were crashing up the beach with it being high tide, as you can see the sand is black volcanic. Did you notice the line of big pieces of driftwood washed up on the waterline?

At 10.47 on 3rd Feb 1931 an earthquake measuring 7.8 on the Richter Scale completely devastated Napier and large parts of Hastings. It was the fires which broke out that caused most of the damage. Hastings had a fairly new water pumping station so many of the fires were able to be extinguished, but Napier didn't have one unfortunately. However within only 2 years Napier had been rebuilt, making it the world's newest and most modern city. 

As a result most of the buildings are in the Art Deco style which was popular in the early part of the twentieth century. The period was characterised by three important changes - 1) the development of science, technology and the machine 2) the increasing independence of women 3) the overthrow of old conventions. The favourite motifs were geometric, usually with angular patterns and shapes such as zigzags. Symbols of power such as lightning and speed were popular, along with symbols of freedom, leaping deers, prancing women, fountains and most common of all the rising sun. I hope you enjoy a few pictures that show this distinctive style of design.



I love this bronze life sized statue.

It took me well over 2 hours to do a part of the tour but I found it hugely pleasurable walking in the city centre and admiring these classic buildings, imagining what a striking difference they must have made at the time, to a city in shock after such a disaster.

I took this one of the sunrise arch with the ocean beyond because I wanted to show the magnificence of the giant Norfolk Pine next to it. Both sides of the coast road into the city are lined with these spectacular trees. You can't get the impression from the photo below but this shelter is a semi-circle along the seafront.
On the way back to Hastings I called at Clive Bakery and bought Simon, Nicholas and I hot pies for a late lunch. After eating we played Cluedo and Billionaire before it was time for more Lego construction.
Just before I went out this morning the doorbell rang and it was Nicholas's missing Christmas gift of the Star Wars Ghost. Simon had hidden it under his bed and this picture shows his delight when it was discovered.
After Philippa had collected Nicholas Simon went out with Carol for some sale bargains whilst I stayed here reading in the garden. When he got back I made one of his favourite suppers - sausage with roast veggies in a white wine sauce. We ate it in the lounge and watched - would you believe it - 4 episodes of Newsroom before going to bed around 11.30 - ridiculous but compelling!








No comments:

Post a Comment