Saturday, 5 December 2015

5th Dec day 52 a weekends worth of activity in a single day part 1

I was surprised when I opened my curtains to see a swimming pool right outside my window, unfortunately Rob has been really busy lately so has not yet done the summer clean out which meant it wasn't useable. Lucy the black Labrador gave me a very enthusiastic welcome when I came out of my bedroom. It was fantastic to cuddle her as I miss Jack back home with Cheryl and gang. 

Julie, Rob and I had an enjoyable breakfast getting to know each other. There is something very special for me meeting with Christians, it's hard to explain but because we are related - God being our Father - we are able to relate immediately. Wayne arrived to pick me up for an action-packed day, typical of him he is a joy to be around.
Our first stop was the breathtaking themed gardens in Hamilton which have been extended since I was last here. I have got soooo many beautiful pictures it's hard to pick a few to give you a flavour. Firstly the Indian garden.
The Italian one.
English Tudor garden.
And the Maori one which shows how they grow kumaras (sweet potatoes to us). This is a typical storage unit as they needed to get the crop off the ground so the rats, possums etc don't eat them. Hopefully these have given you a flavour for how stunning and diverse these gardens are.
After about two and a half hours taking in the wonder of God's creation and man's imagination we were ready for the obligatory cuppa and cake. I had a pineapple slice and Wayne a date and orange scone, scrumpylicious!
Having been fortified we visited the rose gardens which were spectacular, such colour and perfume. I spent ages smelling the huge range of varieties. It's interesting that although we don't see each other often Wayne knows the things that give me pleasure and today was all about doing just that, for which I am incredibly grateful.
We then drove for over an hour to Raglan which is the west coast of the North Island to a new area for me. The journey in the Bromobile (Wayne's 17 year old van, named affectionately by his school kids for all the lovely trips he has taken them on in it over the years - he is Mr Brommell to them), was comfy and sensational. It was mile after mile of lush countryside with contrasting dense pine forests, small mountains and rivers. 
He did a detour so we could go to the Wareinga or Bridal Falls, this was some awesome place. The falls are a sheer 170' drop into a pool at the bottom. This is the view from the first viewing platform. We then walked down the 227 steps to savour these magnificent falls.
View from midway platform and finally the one looking up them, the camera certainly doesn't do them justice but it's a precious reminder for me. 

All this beauty and it's only 1pm, how blessed I am with this whole trip.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you Julie and Rob for lookng after my mum. She's had a lovely time catching up with Wayne (the OLD friend;-) ) and see meeting new ones too.

    ReplyDelete