Sunday, 6 December 2015

6th Dec day 53 church and coach trip

It is Rob's birthday on Wed so all his family came around for a birthday breakfast at 8am, that's 3 couples, 6 grandkids aged 4 and under, plus an extra dog. It was fantastic to be a part of this celebration and help Julie get it all prepared before they arrived. I cooked all the waffles, something I have only done the one time in Canada, but that was one more than Julie - hence I was the expert!

I love this picture of the oldest granddaughter chatting away to the youngest grandson.They are a really close family and it was fun to have an hour and a half with them before Wayne picked me up for church.
The church was originally a Brethen Assembly and their first service from 9.30-10.15am is in that format of individuals sharing some helpful thoughts, Scriptures and songs (that's as opposed to it being led by a worship leader with someone preaching a message). At 10.15am they have a cuppa together before the family service starts at 10.30am. 

Hillcrest Chapel have an accomplished worship band and praise God I knew all the songs for a change, which made it easier for me to concentrate on Him. It was the second Sunday in Advent (there are 4 before Christmas), and it's the time when Christians celebrate the coming of our Saviour as a baby. We also look forward to a time when Jesus will come again, but next time He will come as King. None of us know when that will happen, so we need to be aware and preparing our lives for His return.

It was great to finally meet the church family who Wayne has talked about for many years. It's a really loving group, with over 200 people of all ages there for the family service. They did recognition for everyone taking part in the various groups and activities, it was staggering how many people were involved. Apart from the usual things like children's ministry, youth, flowers, leaders etc there were a couple of different ones - a divorce recovery group and a special pre-Christmas celebration meal made and served by the teenagers.
This isn't the best picture of Wayne, Jess and I but look at the trunk of the pepper tree behind us, honestly when I saw it I was reminded of Lord of the Rings. The 3 of us had lunch together and then I got the coach back to Hastings. The weather deteriorated almost a soon as we left Hamilton, it was wet and overcast all the way back. 
Thankfully Simon and Nicholas were there to meet me and after a few minutes I was safely back at 904 - it felt like coming home.



No comments:

Post a Comment