Saturday, 5 December 2015

4th Dec day 51 coach trip to Hamilton

Today was all about getting from Hastings up to Hamilton to see an old friend Wayne - he's not old I have just known him a long time. I beetled around in the morning doing a few things, including ridiculously colouring in my floor plan for Simon's future extended property! I know you are thinking I have lost the plot but it was a therapeutic thing to do.

I walked down to the bus in my walking boots, it was extremely hot but I needed to take them as Wayne is a keen walker who is 6'5", so I couldn't possibly be scuttling along next to him in flimsy footwear. The coach journey is just under 6 hours which includes a half hour stop at Taupo, a small city in the centre of the North Island. It seemed to take a while to get out of Hawkes Bay as the coach went via Napier and Clive. The picture immediately below is the long stretch into Napier and the one below is the harbour at Clive.

A young woman of about 30 sat by me called Amy, she was delightful. She was going to Hamilton to have the weekend with her new partner and then on Tues to go for an interview at the University there, to hopefully do a fashion design course. She was a gifted artist and showed me her portfolio. We had an amazing conversation for nearly 3 hours with us both learning quite a bit about each other.

After a couple of hours she explained she believed in angels and we had a good chat about personal faith. It was one of those times when it's a privilege to talk to someone because the timing was perfect for her. A couple of weeks ago her Mum had bought her a Bible because she felt her daughter needed something else in her life! 

We were both disappointed when we had to change coaches at Taupo as we could no longer sit together for the rest of the journey. The weather had deteriorated by then and I didn't have a window seat so this was the last picture I took on the journey, not very inspiring I'm afraid. 
Wayne was there to meet me at Hamilton Bus Station and we went to his new home for dinner. Jess his 22yr old daughter was at home, it was super to catch up with them both as its 6 years since we last met. Wayne drove me to his friends Julie and Rob later because I am staying with them. They are a very warm couple from Wayne's church family who made me really welcome in their beautiful home. Sadly for me I left my new Bible on the coach but only realised at bedtime. 

2 comments:

  1. Hello Helen , It was an absolute delight meeting you on my way to Hamilton. , What a wonderful amazing woman you are. Thank you so much for the amazing conversation we had over 3 hours. Thank you also for the words you have spoken about me in your blog. One small act of kindness is all it takes to make some ones day and you made mine by us talking about life and our lives over the journey of the bus ride , I would love us to keep in touch and I wish you the best for the rest of your journey in New Zealand. I hope it becomes even more wonderful than what it has been already.. Amy ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Helen, how special ❤️ Xxx

    ReplyDelete