It was a boiling hot day not far off 30 degrees which was brilliant for changing the beds. I can't tell you the pleasure it gives me pegging out fresh smelling laundry. Whilst I was sitting outside having done the washing I was reflecting on just what a lovely country and climate it is here in NZ. When I have visited on other occasions it's just been for a couple of weeks, so if there have been several poor days it's given me the impression that the climate is no better than in the UK. However staying for a longer period I can see that was a misconception, it is much more like the Mediterranean here. I thought you might like to see the cerulean sky (I am trying to read more and doing crosswords whilst I am away to improve my vocabulary, this is a new word for me).
I had arranged to go into school to do another craft but when I got there each of the different classes were in the middle of playing games outside, with lots of water involved, the kids were having a ball.
When those were finished lots of them opted to go into the school's pool, perfect for such a glorious day. There are so many special touches this small school provide e.g certificates for every child's birthday, ice creams for all at lunchtime today as a treat, reward books weekly for a child CBG (caught being good), free fruit each day etc, I am impressed with it all.
I had to put the craft stuff away in Simon's room because there wasn't time for us to do it today but as I did I came across this notice which made me smile and feel proud of the positive impact he is having on these young lives.
When I got back to 904 the washing was all dry so I ironed it outside but it was so hot I had to wear my 'dreaded' hat and to make matters worse it had to be a selfie to record the moment!
This evening was the first of 3 carol concerts by Carol's choir Four's Company so Simon and I went along. It was held in St Matthews Church next door to Nicholas's school., which is a magnificent late1900 century building, which thankfully survived the earthquake.
The choir were excellent but it was the song content and arrangements that made it outstanding. It was truly inspired and I felt my spirit lifted. The first song called The Yearning talked about that need in our hearts to know God personally. The Alpha course talks about us having a God-shaped hole and my life experience taught me that was true,
I was always thinking the next thing e.g. getting married, having kids, next holiday etc would fill the void I felt at times. But no matter how life changing or wonderful the things were I had this uneasy feeling there must be more to life than this? Finally at the age of 30 when I became a follower of Jesus, I felt complete. Life hasn't always been easy by any means but that deep contentment, that isn't affected by circumstances, has remained.
But I was most moved by one called 'The hands that first held Mary's child', talking about how it must have been Joseph's rough carpenters hands that held Jesus first. In all my years as a Christian I have never given that beautiful image, of this special Dad holding this even more special baby, a thought.







Ooh I love that about Joseph holding Jesus, wow.
ReplyDeleteAlso, how amazing is life as a child in NZ. Oh my word, I wish our kids over here would get some of the freedom and positive experiences of schooling over there. So fab. Really glad you're having such beautiful weather too. Xxxx
You're right, kids here do have a lot more freedom and it is generally a much more relaxed culture. Thanks for your comment, especially as things are so tough in the Miti household. Xxxx
ReplyDelete