Monday, 23 November 2015

23rd Nov day 40 Gran's clock and a swimming lesson

Having dropped Nicholas at school I was on a mission to find 2 things. Firstly a bulb that didn't protrude over the shade on the uplighter I had bought for the dining room. I was assured when I bought it that the long life, low energy bulb was exactly the right size not to be seen - what rubbish it stuck out like a sore thumb! Secondly I needed something nice to have with morning 'tea' as I was hoping Melva (the elderly lady who has lived in the house across the road from 904 for 57 years), would come over.

I got the bulb and went to the supermarket, to my surprise and delight they had spicy fruit bread - yay. For those who know me well you will wonder how I have survived without teacakes for 6 weeks? I did find the ocean view cafe in Bondi that did fruit bread but I have only had that one helping since I left home, I've got withdrawal symptoms. I hardly go a day at home without having a teacake or a fruitbread slice. My close friends over the years know how vital these items are to me for when I have anyone visiting who is in distress - they are real comfort food. And I eat them almost daily just for pleasure. My friend Lynn laughs and says I have a ministry of teacakes!
When I got home it was a week since I had worked out how to wind Gran's (my Mum's) clock without activating the strike. I wanted to see how many winds it could take in order for it to keep good time for a week. The clock was bought by my Dad, for my Mum, on their 30th wedding anniversary and she loved it.

Their marriage was challenging for all the years I was at home, largely due to my Dad's mental health issues, but am sure having 3 teenage girls would have added to their tensions. However the year Ken and I got married was their 25th anniversary, as well as coinciding with Dad completing his 25 years in the Police. With Kathryn going off to College that year it meant that they were freer than at any time previously. They had their best holiday ever in Anglesey, with Dad buying Mum a really pretty opal and diamond ring to celebrate this important milestone, and so began the happiest period in their lives. It lasted beyond their 30th anniversary as they became grandparents to Simon, Cheryl and Emily, my niece, all of whom they adored. Unfortunately a few years later Dad had another serious breakdown, ending up once again in a secure mental health unit, sadly their golden years were over.

But the clock always reminds me of those lovely years when life for my parents was a joy. When Mum died Simon wanted her beloved clock as it was such a part of his quality time with them both, it ended up being shipped to NZ.
Melva wasn't available so I did some jobs and then sunbathed for a couple of hours before picking up Nicholas from school. Simon met us there when he had finished and we went together to the pool at Flaxmere, where Nicholas has lessons. I am a rubbish photographer as I managed to miss all his fantastic arm movements doing, crawl, butterfly and dolphin dives. These are the best but I really must do better when I go again in 2 weeks. 


We are all enjoying our new tradition of a cuppa out in the garden when we get home on a sunny evening. Here is a picture of the inhouse entertainment.
I cooked so Simon could carry 
on with his report writing. It was just a feet up evening, viewing and reading. Oh this is such a relaxing holiday, thank You Lord.

3 comments:

  1. It's such a pleasure and a delight to here how you're enjoying your time with us mum. I've mentioned to you before that I'm working and feel bad for leaving you so much to just do housework. You've reassured me countless times, that you're enjoying yourself...
    ...Its still reassuring to read it here :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so precious that you have the clock, Simon. And I'm loving the sound of tea and trampoline as a tradition. Noah would love life with you guys :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicholas:Melva is really nice and would enjoy coming over if she got the chance.

    ReplyDelete