Wednesday, 4 November 2015

5th Nov day 22 terra firma but where am I, Birmingham, Cardiff or Sydney?

It was such an easy flight here albeit very long but everything went like clockwork. The food on the plane was delicious and I watched 4 good movies - 1) Captain Phillips with Tom Hanks based on the true story of the kidnap of the Maersk container ship by Somali pirates in 2009 2) Selma based on the true events which took place in this Alabama town with Dr Martin Luther King and the struggle for blacks to be given the votes, to which they were entitled 3) 2nd Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, even better than the first one with Maggie Smith and Judy Dench to name just 2 of the brilliant cast 4) Royal Night about the 2 princesses on VE night. They helped pass a long sleepless trip, as the lights went off as soon as we had eaten and didn't come back on til 2 hours before we landed so reading was not an option. Also I sat next to a delightful Christian Nan on her way to see her family, that was a treat.

Was a bit shocked by the weather on arrival but then this is New South Wales so what would you expect? The minibus ride to the hotel was fun as a young guy in his mid twenties sat next to me and started chatting. He was a photographer from Minnesota called Jasper who was meeting friends and travelling Australia for 6 months. He had been to NZ previously and told me about the Nelson area which I haven't visited yet, apparently it's spectacular, maybe I will get to see it this time?

Thankfully the hotel let me check in early which meant I was able to shower and go to bed for a couple of hours, as I was hanging. After a sleep (really didn't want to get up) I walked into Sydney. Unlike Canada the map was perfect and it was an easy walk through a very clean city, with beautiful Victirian buildings en route to the waterfront. 
I had looked online to see if I could book for something - anything - at the Opera House over the 5 days I am here but it looked fully booked. However when I came to the ticket office I managed to get a seat for tonight, a concert by the Sydney Symphony Orchestra with songs from Broadway, am writing this whilst waiting to go in - thrilling - can't really believe I am here.
Whilst waiting I had a nice healthy eating snack!! Despite the heavy drizzle I decided not to let it bother me as it's such a privilege to be here, so ate outside. Whatever the weather I am going to do the things I have planned and have the most fantastic time.
Young architect Jorn Utzon won the international competition to design the Opera Housekn 1957, it was built by Arup and has definitely stood the test of time as it's still in pristine condition. The multitude of steps don't look as if millions of visitors have gone up and down them. It was finished in 1965 so is now 50 years old but it's definitely one of those truly iconic buildings of our time.

The performance was exceptional with Audra McDonald a singer who has featured in many shows and musicals complementing the SSO. I sat next to a gentle young Korean girl who was also travelling alone, which meant we could share the enjoyment.
 


1 comment:

  1. Hi Helen,
    Am so glad the hotel and area has lived up to your hopes.
    Amazing to think you have gone so far and done so many things already.
    The weather in "old" South Wales today is just like New South Wales yesterday, not great!
    Hope you enjoyed your concert, the Opera House looks very impressive as did your "healthy eating"snack.
    Keep the news coming, am really enjoying being on your journey with you.
    Much love and our prayers go with you xxxx

    ReplyDelete