Mark played keyboard, there were drums, a gifted violinist and 3 singers leading worship which I enjoyed, although I didn't know a single song - will get into them over the next couple of months no doubt. Tim spoke on the importance of our head knowledge faith making it into our hearts in order for it to impact every part of our lives. We were given a paper when we went in for us to complete with our thoughts on a) what would we like more of from God? b) what would we like to be better at for Him? c) what would we like to be different in our faith life? d) what needs to be reduced in our lives in order to make way for these things to happen? I wrote down a few things but it's the sort of exercise I need to do over time if it's to have an impact and make me more like Jesus in my actions and reactions.
Tim reminded us these are changes that need His help and closed with John 14 vs 15-17 where Jesus says "If you love Me keep My commandments. And I will pray to the Father and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever - the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you".
After church we had a healthy eating lunch - no really, it was ham and different salads and we ate it in the garden as it was warm, though overcast. We had decided we would have a walk so headed for the Piwakawaka Loop which is outside Napier. It was really pleasant just Simon and I ambling along chatting all the way, whilst enjoying the beauty around us.
The views from the top over Napier were panoramic but because of the direction of the sun this is not the best picture.
After the walk we headed for McDonalds for a McFlurry with M&Ms - scrummy as they added in choc sauce. As we had something to eat at home about 5.30pm we started to do together the crossword from the morning paper. It brought back a flood of happy memories for me. When Simon and Cheryl were growing up we had quite a few lovely, foreign holidays with David. We generally went self-catering so ate out at different places in the evenings. I had forgotten Simon always used to bring along a puzzle book for us all to do together, in that period between getting cool drinks on a warm, balmy evening and the arrival of our chosen meals. It became such a relaxed and united part of our times away, how had I forgotten that?Later Simon and I went back to the church again as they are doing an interesting series called 'towards>belief' with the topic this week being homosexuality. I particularly wanted to hear/learn more as increasingly I am knowing people who are gay. I have known for a very long time they are loved by God and that I am not to judge but over recent years I have realised that if Jesus were to have lived now he would have moved in the spheres of excluded people groups e.g refugees, homosexuals etc. The video and later discussion gave some especially helpful insights.
Unfortunately Carol went down with a chest infection today, it was good Simon felt able to leave me for a feet up evening and spend time with her.




Simons church sounds great, I love the practical application stuff at the start of the post especially. Definitely stuff we can all take away so thank you for sharing it :) It must be so special having times with just Simon and recapturing lost memories even. We think we will never forget a single detail but so much gets lost along the way. So gorgeous to have this time making new memories as well as remembering the past :) xxx
ReplyDelete