Saturday, 28 November 2015

28th Nov day 45 lazy days of summer - woohoo

Simon and I had a lovely lie in, with Nicholas being away, and then an unhurried day ahead of us, bliss. The sun was shining but it was very breezy so we had our weekend breakfast inside. After breakfast we did my daily Bible study together which was based on Romans 3 vs 24 about faith being a free gift to us but which cost God the life of His Only Son. The notes were talking about how hard we as individuals find it to receive freely, we would much rather have to work for something because that gives us a sense of satisfaction. Coming to a place where we realise we need His love and forgiveness is humbling, but without it we can't have true faith. 
We chatted around this subject for a while and then prayed together. It's one of the precious things Simon and I share, an active faith in Jesus, and it's one of the things I miss most about him being the other side of the world. But for now I'm just enjoying every precious time together.

We then did the Sat paper crossword together by which time it was almost midday. We headed for Meeanee to McElvey's fresh fruit and veg shop which has the most enormous cabbages, caulies and broccoli I have ever seen. Simon had a few things to finish at school before Mon am, as the Inspectors arrive early. I did a some little jobs for him whilst he finished off the lessons to the last detail, for the three days of ERO (pronounced eroo and stands for Education Review Office).

Carol had asked us to get some salad items towards the buffet for her birthday party later this evening. Both Simon and I were able to do a couple of helpful things with the prep at hers before coming back to 904 for me to finish making our contribution towards the food, and get ready. 

We got to the party about 6.15 just in time to help put things on the table before the rest of the guests started arriving. They were mainly members of Fours Company choir and their partners/kids, also Lucy-Pat and her husband Dylan were there. They are the young couple who have kindly lent us the car. It was such a welcoming group to me as an outsider and they obviously all enjoy socialising together. It was a barbecue with Carol's sons cooking all the meats. 

She had done a fabulous starter dip with celery and carrot sticks, cutting out the inside of a crusty farmhouse loaf and filling it with a hot cheese, ham and onion dip. There were a varied assortment of salads for with the meat, but it was the sweet selection that had my mouth watering. There was chocolate and strawberry cheesecake, banoffee, Eton mess, caramel and walnut brownies all with a choice of cream, custard or ice cream. 
A karaoke machine had been hired as this group of friends likes nothing better than a good singalong. Unfortunately by the time the singing started the light had faded and my iPad doesn't have a flash so the photos are rubbish. I like this one of Wendy with her two girls.
And this one of Simon tucking into the first course. 
There were some amazingly gifted singers amongst them and certainly if you are having a karaoke party that's a real benefit. I was particularly impressed with how many teenagers and young people are part of Fours Company. The ages span from 16-87, so it's a great inter-generational choir. 

I left just before 11pm but the party was still in full swing, I so enjoyed seeing Simon with this new group of friends since my last time here and it had been a lot of fun.



No comments:

Post a Comment