Sunday, 11 October 2015

Up, up and away

As my grandsons used to say when they were little "only 3 more sleeps" until I set off on my round the world trip and I'm very excited. Am I ready with everything sorted here, case packed and apartment cleaned for leaving - not so much. But by 8am next Tues 13th Oct when Mark (my son-in-law) drives me to Heathrow I certainly will be. So whatever it takes over the next few days I'm onto it.

This trip is a long-realised dream, well certainly for over 12 years since Simon emigrated. In those early years I would visit New Zealand annually for my holidays and I would fly in and out of some amazing locations, Sydney being a perfect example. At least 4 times I have seen that fabulous harbour with its iconic bridge and Opera House, but I've never been out of the airport departure lounge! I kept promising myself that one day, God willing, I would finally do the other side of the world with stopovers enroute to and from NZ. That time has arrived.

I'm going to Canada to see the 'fall' first for two weeks with my friend Carol. Then she flies home for work and I go to New York, San Francisco, Sydney and onto NZ for 2 months there with Simon and Nicholas, before flying home via Hong Kong. That's some trip eh?

I'm so grateful to Cheryl who has encouraged me to take this adventure before I buy my stunning apartment. She thought it was a good idea, despite the implications for her at the busiest time of her life.

Why Nan on tour? Marcus, my now teenage grandson, came up with the title and it perfectly reflects my main reason for this once in a lifetime journey. The Lord has blessed me with a wonderful family which includes my 3 grandsons. Since last Dec I've lived across the road from Marcus and Seb (8) which is fantastic. We have such fun together because it's so easy to do spontaneous things. However with a distance of 12,000 miles separating Nicholas (9) and I, quality time has to be planned. So for the first time in his life I'm spending Christmas with him and I can't wait.

This blog is primarily my own personal record of my travels, photos and memories so it will contain an honest account of my faith in the Lord Jesus, but of course if you're reading it as family or friends I'm delighted to have you on the journey with me. 

So for now it's washing, ironing, cleaning, packing and planning before it can be up, up and away.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you have an amazing time Helen. Must meet up with you when you return. I hope to one day be able to make a similar trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be checking your blog daily. Have fun and stay safe. Lots of love from all in The Mill x

    ReplyDelete