We picked up the car from the airport, well not quite as simply as that. After a lot of admin we were allocated a black Beetle in aisle Y14, Carol was excited as she likes VWs. They did say the keys were in it which we thought was a bit risky and no surprise the car wasn't there! We were finally allocated a Hyandai Accent, not quite as much fun but thankfully despite it being left-hand drive, automatic and everything about it feeling wrong, I managed (thank you Lord) to drive for about an hour and a half safely to Val & Bobs in St Catharines in pouring rain. They are just the most thoughtful hosts and made us very welcome.
The follow morning Wed they kindly took us for an orientation tour to Port Dalhousie to see the yachts, then to Vinelands Vineyard where they bought ice wine, never heard of it but about to try it. Then onto Balls Falls, nice colours but no water. Carol and I were a bit troubled about the Niagara Falls at that point! We stopped at Jordan Village, stunning, had hot lunch followed by pumpkin ice cream cake with pumpkin brittle - yummy. We visited the Morningstar Mill and Decew Falls, then onto Thorold and saw the 3 step locks on the Welland Canal. Did you it's in competition with the Panama Canal? Not quite the MerseyTrent canal in Alrewas with its gentle longboats, these are massive ocean-going freight vessels.
After we had dropped Bob at home Val kindly took Carol and I for a recce to Niagara to help us know the way for Thurs. Sadly I had forgotten my iPad for their whistle-stop tour so the only pictures I have are from my first day are the ones of the whirlpool rapids on the Niagara Strait.
Wow! What an exciting time.
ReplyDeleteI'm a little jealous of you right now. I'd love to see the falls and looks such a lovely place too (I googled it, obviously). I'm delighted you're staying with such wonderful people.
God Bless and much love xx
Love this. Sounds like an amazing start to the trip. So beautiful and such kind people to be staying with xx
ReplyDeleteWow what a fantastic start to the trip (plus brilliant business class experience!!). I hope you're relaxing into it now and that you have an amazing time. Tim and I are looking forward to face timing soon when you're at Pat and Gord's ;-) xx
ReplyDelete