Monday, 11 January 2016

11th Jan day 88 - Attitude - a little thing that makes a big difference!

In 2001 when my life was in tatters I got a temp job through an agency in a very swish computer company in Peterborough. On the wall was an enormous, magnificent poster of a drop of water exploding onto the surface of the water with the above caption about attitude underneath. It was hugely influential in my life as I realised slowly what happened to me next, depended on how I dealt with situations - positively or negatively - I made the choice to be positive. The Lord clearly showed me self pity was a sin and also that it was extremely destructive. If you read last night's blog you had no doubt realised I was indulging in self pity, albeit that you may have felt sorry for me in that weary state.

This is the view from my bed.
And this is the view on the other side from my window.
As I gazed out for the first time God reminded me of the Syrian refugees and those poorest of the poor who are suffering the worst effects of the El Ninio winds in Africa, they would consider where I am now as complete luxury! In that moment the self pity was gone and I asked Him to forgive me. I had slept well and everything had a different perspective. It made me smile that the poor estate of Gibbobdown, where I lived for many years, wasn't as grim as these views.

I came down to this breakfast of a hard boiled egg, 1 slice of thin ham, 1 cold frankfurter sausage and white bread. There was watery squash and packet, pre-sweetened coffee and I couldn't have been more thankful. The busy street was below me and I watched people going about their lives, loading and unloading into shops, pushing huge trolleys on which were all sorts of items, laughing, chatting, cyclists riding up the road in this one-way down only street. It's all so Chinese and I want to embrace this whole, brief experience, not as a critical Westerner, but as a grateful child of God, so that I may better understand this culture.
After breakfast I set off to the nearby shopping mall at Langham Place as I was looking for something nice to take back for Cheryl, Mark and Marcus. I had bought something for Seb in NZ. I had only given the 4 of them books for Christmas and the boys a bit of money as well. This is definitely a city where east meets west and rich meets poor. Here is the 12 storey high shopping and cinema complex Langham Place, with the picture of the buildings on the adjacent block below, what a contrast.

This is the view from the 8th floor of the shopping mall, looking down the escalator.
After successful shopping I walked down Shanghai and Nathan roads to the waterfront, it's quite a long way but it looked similar to what I had walked from my hotel to Sydney Opera House, so decided to give it a go. It took ages as I kept stopping on the way to investigate and take photos of things of interest.

Virtually everyone in Hong Kong lives in an apartment, since arriving I haven't see a single house. On every side there are high rise buildings in order to accommodate the population of this bustling city. As a result there is virtually no grass to be seen, the only greenery is from trees, shrubs and the odd pot of flowers. However the city provides lots of places like this one where you can just sit and relax set back slightly from the traffic and general mayhem. It seems to me like an oasis of calm in a pulsating metropolis.
The walk took me past such a diverse variety of shops everything from this stall that was selling skinned snakes and rats (the smell was horrendous) to the shot below where the genuine Rolex outlet sits next to one selling cigarettes etc. The whole experience pervades your senses.

I took a few minutes time out of the hustle and bustle to go into Kowloon Park, these steps are the entrance.
But even in there it was concrete softened by lovely trees and shrubs plus this fountain surrounded by this impression of a Chinese junk.
I was feeling increasingly like I could with a coffee and of course - cake, but this isn't a cafe culture city at all. Even on this magnificent waterfront that had lots of seats for viewing there was nowhere to get a drink.

This building, the Hong Kong Cultural Centre, reminded me of a modern day pyramid, it houses the museum, space museum and theatre etc. 
By now I had been walking for nearly 3 hours so decided to head back up Nathan Rd to see if I could find somewhere for refreshments. In the event it had to be a McCafe would you believe, but this cuppa and Danish were welcome indeed.
The map has proved invaluable it has enabled me to walk without being anxious about getting lost. I made my way slowly back to the hotel trying desperately to find shops that sold clothes for little ones and books. Eventually I managed to buy a cute blue and navy jumper for Evan, the 14 month old I was meeting with his parents this evening. I never did find a bookstore despite being sent on a wild goose chase. 

Jonathan, Franchesca and little Evan kindly met me outside my hotel. He and I worked together a few years ago in Care for the Family and have stayed in touch. He left CfF to go to Argentina as a missionary and there he met Franchesca. They had been serving together there through YWAM (Youth with a Mission) for a number of years and then felt the Lord calling them to work with the same organisation here in Hong Kong. My visit here was a perfect opportunity for a long overdue catch up and we had an amazing evening bridging the gaps with each other on our very different lives.
They are very good together and I am so thankful to God as I prayed for a number of years for a lovely wife for Jonathan. Evan is such a happy little chappie, it was gorgeous to be able to chat and hold a toddler again. We had a really yummy meal at a Chinese Italian - ridiculous I know but excellent food, and then after our dessert of ice cream and waffles we went for a walk. It started to rain hard so we decided against getting the MTR (tube) down to the waterfront and opted to go for a coffee on the 12th floor of nearby Langham Place. The ceiling there is of blue sky and clouds which gives it a gentle, relaxed feel.
We managed to sit at a table away from the other customers so we were able to talk unhindered and pray together for one another. It was a very special evening at the end of a fascinating day. Thank You Lord for Your goodness and patience with me. 

















3 comments:

  1. So relieved that yesterday worked out so well in the end and I loved having the time catching up with you in the evening. Praying today will have gone just as well. Love you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet Hong Kong was delightful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Vicky and Nicholas, yes I loved the explosion of east meets west that you get in Kowloon.

    ReplyDelete