Wednesday, 6 January 2016

6th Jan day 83 birthday prep and library test

Nicholas and I went out about 10am to get presents for Simon's birthday which is on Fri. We both had some ideas but Nicholas had thought of one thing he really wanted to get him with his own money. The only problem was his money was at Philippa's. But that's just a detail.We had to buy all the usual things like cake (I know I should be ashamed of myself for not making one but "you see my lord I have been just too busy emptying bedpans, changing sheets, taking swabs etc" she lied through her teeth!), balloons, candles, and party poppers. 

I was disappointed they don't seem to do themed cakes here as I was hoping to get him a Star Wars one so I let Nicholas chose, it came down to chocolate, chocolate or chocolate cake.

Then we started on the pressies and had quite a bit of success getting several things quite easilly. Here is Nicholas bouncing with joy trying to reach the shop canopies with a role of wrapping paper - not a light sabre!
I needed to get HongKong dollars whilst we were out which proved to be a challenge. I went to Simon's bank ASB but they would have to order them which meant they may not arrive before I leave on Sat afternoon. The cashier told me to go to TSB, which is a fair walk away, because they have a bureau de change. So off we trundled and yes they had the dollars, this is me waiting to get them.
But there was a problem, this bank doesn't do withdrawals from international banks, when I said "that's crazy as you do international currency" the cashier got shirty and defensive saying proudly "we are a New Zealand bank". I resisted the temptation to say that's nothing to boast about, instead I asked calmly (through gritted teeth) how I could buy the dollars. She said you need to get the cash out from ASB - aaargh! So back me and my little shopper went, got the cash only to return to get the dollars - easy as that!

But the worst of the purchasing was yet to come. You will know if you have endured this blog through thick and thin that I had a nightmare in the Warehouse looking for a particular dvd for Simon by searching through the thousands in the bargain bins. Well he had put 3 old dvds on his birthday wish list so Nicholas and I had no option but to do that horrendous search. In the event they only had 1 of the 3 in stock, so we both started looking for this needle in a haystack. 
Now I have only just finished the counselling sessions from my last experience in the Warehouse and not wanting Nicolas to develop the heebie jeebies I decided after a 15min hunt to call off the search. After all what is the use of Internet shopping if people are going to waste hours of their precious lives rummaging through bargain bins! It took me about 5mins to order when I got back and cost $2 less.

Bless him Nicholas was a gem the whole morning but he was very thankful to get home and enjoy an iced lemonade and a rocky road - our favourite cakes.

After lunch the 3 of us began another game of Monopoly, for me it's desperation time as I have lost the last 2 games. We played for a while and then the sun came out so we abandoned it and went into the garden. Nicholas full of beans and me, well not so much ....
I think I look as if rigor mortis has set in!
Anyway I had just closed my eyes when Simon remembered Nicholas needed to go to the library before 4pm. There is a really good summer reading programme there to encourage kids to read more. If they read 5 books over the holidays and report in after each one they get a small gift and then are invited to a party and presentation just before they go back to school. Here is Nicholas being questioned on his book of choice for this week, the Rangers Appremtice. He got a lovely wooden box of cubed nought and crosses this time.

When we got back we wrapped all the presents, he is very good at it, a gift from his Mum I assume.
It was late when Simon and I ate, by then we were both tired so it was just a feet up evening and then I read my Bear Grylls book in bed.









No comments:

Post a Comment