Tuesday, 12 January 2016

12th Jan day 89 out and about in Hong Kong

How's this for a lift, it's like something from a Casino not my little hotel, but yet another example of Hong Kong contrasts.
I made a mistake this morning but by a series of pointing and hand gestures the receptionist and I sorted out how I could get to the cable cars. I had been told there are spectacular views from high up in Hong Kong so thought this was the best way to enjoy them. Being here as a foreigner has made me much better appreciate how difficult it is for those who find themselves in another country without the language. It's small things like not being able to understand adverts on the tube, some street signage (although I have to commend the authorities because most streets have signs and most have it in English as well), putting on the tv etc. It has given me a sense of isolation I haven't experienced before in all my years of travelling.

The trip involved me taking the MTR which is a superbly clean, efficient underground network where you never wait more than a few mins for another train to come along. The transport system here is soooooo cheap as well, which makes it possible for the majority of the population to manage without a car. It's as well as the streets are very congested. 

Challenge 1 of the day was to buy a ticket from an automated machine with only a couple of words of English on the instructions - you all know what a duffer I am technically. Eventually I worked out I needed the red line to Tsuen Wan, changing at Lai King to the mustard line for Tng Chung - easy at 
that!

Challenge 2 was which to direction to take once underground as it wasn't immediately obviously, I was helped by asking another passenger using invaluable art of pointing. The people here are very helpful, on a number of occasions so far I have stood looking at my 'trusted' map, each time someone with broken English has asked if I needed help. How kind of them and how I need to watch out for people who may be lost when I am in a city.
Challenge 3 I realised by reading my map that I didn't want the cable car on Lantau Island where I was currently heading, that's a full days trip, plus it was very cloudy and overcast so completely pointless. I realised I had to get Hong Kong Island and somehow get up The Peak. I got to the end of the tube line, got out and applied more of the same logistical challenges in reverse, with the addition of using a bus as well.

Challenge 4 working out on the station map, which involves an extremely complex drawing showing exits on all 4 levels using arrows and numbers, how to get to the bus station. I had a couple of attempts and with no sign of buses I went back to the map and studied some more. Now you may remember that I can't even understand Lego pictures, so this was a nightmare. But I had prayed for help today and gradually the pieces came together for which I am extremely thankful. You may be thinking all that sounds a bit pathetic but travelling alone means you don't have anyone to consult with or laugh with at the mistakes you make.

The bus trip up to The Peak took 40 mins and cost an unbelievable $10 or £1! The views as we rose steeply were sensational but I am afraid the camera doesn't really do them justice. This bus ride isn't for anyone of a nervous disposition as only a low crash barrier prevents you toppling down almost sheer drops in places. The bus driver certainly didn't drive as if that was the case as he swung the vehicle around some exceptionally hairy bends.

My perception of Hong Kong Island is that it has almost all been built in the last 50 years or so, using vast amounts of concrete to secure these huge high rise buildings to what must be solid rock beneath. It's a very Westernised modern part of the city with all the big international retail names in top notch outlets in the centre.The population seemed young as well, but maybe it's just that my generation don't work there, after all why would you Emily wrinkles when you can have beautiful youngsters. 
 
This building looks so precarious but it can't be if it's to withstand the winds that must buffet it.
It was fantastic at the top especially the God made parts, but the retail outlets and building constructions that were man-made, were amazing as well.


Below is my favourite view from the top, I can see it in my mind's eye though not clearly in this photo.
I confidently got the no 15 bus back down from The Peak after my usual cuppa and cake treat (am going to miss these), expecting it would drop me back at the bus station, from whence I had come - but no I was dropped on the waterfront with not a clue where I was! I dug out my friend 'Map' as he's now called and a lovely bus driver drew which way I needed to go. These are views of the city en route to bus station and adjacent MTR station, which was what I needed. 

I really like this one of the Apple Store with the main road underneath, to me it epitomises the need for every inch of space to be utilised here.
I was back in Kowloon in a time to see the movie Daddy's Home, a right load of rubbish, but I like the approach to the cinema shown below, that was the best bit.
I just had McDonalds to eat which was fine and allowed me to publish my blog. My dilemma is do I go somewhere really nice and pay a fortune to eat alone, or do I go to one of the many cheap places and risk them not being very clean - hence McDonalds. I then got the MTR down to the waterfront, am a pro at ticket buying now!

At 8pm every night, weather permitting, there is a light festival. Here is a taster, not the best pics though, it was fantastic as the lights were co-ordinated with the music. I have a video clip which is much better but without Simon's expertise I have no clue how to get it on the blog. I like this one of the Space Museum which is just off the waterfront. 

I walked back to the hotel in order to tire myself out, I wanted a really sleep before the 22 hours journey home starting at 6pm Wed evening. 





No comments:

Post a Comment